Giles Coates came to Nelson in 1850 from London. After about 10 years he moved to Christchurch. His shop was taken over by his son-in-law Henry Thomason and Francis Smith around 1865. The business continued on until 1941.
This is a nice pair of serviette rings, probably dating to around 1890. They are unmonogrammed and in great condition.
Stamped 'GC&Co', 'STG' and 'SILr'.
They weigh a combined 53 grams.